Founded in Stuttgart in 1950 by Wilhelm Schlösser, Europäische Buchklub adds records to its range for the first time in 1953. The following year, the Europäischer Phonoklub is established as a result of high demand. Its program initially comprises mainly classical music and opera. The club's own Opera label supplies members and license partners with numerous exclusive own productions. In 1963, Bertelsmann takes over all shares in the two clubs, which are merged the following year to form the Europäischer Buch- und Phonoklub. The Opera recordings are transferred to the portfolio of Bertelsmann´s record company Ariola-Eurodisc. In 1971, the club is integrated into the Europäische Bildungsgemeinschaft (EBG) and from 1972 is continued under this name with a unified catalog.